The environment is one of Canada’s greatest resources. It is our job to make sure the companies we oversee follow some of the strictest environmental standards in the world.
Companies have to answer to us for how they make sure people and the environment stay protected. This starts even before we allow work to begin. We are on the ground while new projects are being built and while they are being operated. Even when pipelines or powerlines stop being used, we still keep watch make sure companies are doing the right things.
We have environmental experts and scientists that work across the country. They are highly trained and advise us on things like:
- safeguarding wetlands and maintaining water quality
- protecting animals and fish in their natural habitat, especially those already at risk
- respectfully interacting with traditional land of Indigenous Peoples
- understanding soil productivity and plant life
- keeping people safe and healthy
- Date modified: