Filing Manual – Guide Q – Export Authorizations (sections 344 to 347 of the CER Act and Associated Regulations)
Sections 344 to 345 of the CER Act authorize the Commission to issue licences for the exportation of oil or gas. The CER Act no longer requires companies to obtain authorization for importation of natural gas, effective 29 August 2022. See the letter to All Gas Importation Authorization Holders issued 3 February 2023.
The National Energy Board Act Part VI (Oil and Gas) Regulations (Part VI Regulations) set out the information to be filed for licences and provides for the issuance of orders for the exportation of gas and oil.
This guide describes the filing requirements for natural gas (including LNG) export licence applications.
- The source and volume of gas to be exported.
- A description of gas supplies, including Canadian gas supply, expected to be available to the Canadian market (including underlying assumptions) over the requested licence term.
- A description of expected gas requirements (demand) for Canada (including underlying assumptions) over the requested license term.
- The implications of the proposed export volumes on the ability of Canadians to meet their gas requirements.
The onus is on the Applicant to demonstrate that the criteria in section 345 of the CER Act are met. The filing requirements, by their very nature, are not prescriptive and can be met in a variety of ways, including quantitatively or qualitatively. In meeting the filing requirements, the Applicant may want to consider:
- trends in Canadian gas demand and supply and the availability of the sources of gas to Canadians.
- available gas supply from the United States and other global sources.
- past trends in gas discoveries and whether, in the Applicant’s opinion, these trends can be extrapolated into the future and why.
- the expected technological improvements in resource assessment and innovations.
For additional guidance, please see Reasons for Decision [Filing A50334] respecting the LNG Canada Development Inc. application for a licence to export LNG, issued on 4 February 2013.
- Date modified: