Newfoundland and Labrador

Electricity Generation

In 2018, Newfoundland and Labrador generated 42.8 terawatt hours (TW.h).

Newfoundland and Labrador generates about 95% of its electricity from hydro sources (Figure 19). Oil, natural gas, and wind power make up the remaining 5%.

In 2017, annual electricity consumption per capita in Newfoundland and Labrador was 19.3 MW.h.

Figure 19: Electricity Generation by Fuel Type, 2018

Figure 19: Electricity Generation by Fuel Type, 2018

Source: CER - Canada’s Energy Future 2019


This pie chart shows electricity generation by source in Newfoundland and Labrador. A total of 42.8 TW.h of electricity was generated in 2018.

Electricity Provider

Residential electricity service is provided by Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro (Hydro) a crown corporation and subsidiary of Nalcor Energy and Newfoundland Power a Fortis company. The electricity rates are set by theNewfoundland and Labrador Board of Commissioners of Public Utilities (Public Utilities).

Energy Cost

The cost of energy is 12.203 cents per kilowatt hour (¢/kW.h).

Basic Monthly Charge

The basic monthly charge, or minimum monthly charge, is $15.97 per month.

Figure 20: Newfoundland and Labrador Monthly Electricity Bill Break-down and Appliance Costs

Source: Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro


This interactive dashboard shows Newfoundland and Labrador residents what it costs to run various appliances based on the different lengths of time they are operated. The data for these graphs is available.

Date modified: