On Wednesday, Aug. 28, the National Energy Board (NEB) became the Canada Energy Regulator (CER). For further information please visit our Implementing the Canadian Energy Regulator Act information page
Manitoba Hydro – Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project
On this page you can find:
In its project application [Filing A81054], Manitoba Hydro is proposing to construct and operate a 500 kV alternating current international power line (IPL) extending from Manitoba Hydro’s Dorsey Converter Station in Manitoba to the international boundary between Manitoba and Minnesota (Dorsey IPL). The Dorsey IPL will connect with the Great Northern Transmission Line, a new 500 kV transmission line in the United States.
Based on the proposed design and route, the construction of the Dorsey IPL will require alterations to two of Manitoba Hydro’s existing IPLs, as well as alterations to some of Manitoba Hydro’s intra-provincial transmission lines and facilities.
The construction of the Dorsey IPL and the associated alterations to Manitoba Hydro’s existing transmission facilities is collectively known as the Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project (MMTP).
This map provides an overview of the project.
- 15 November 2018: Today, the Board has issued its decision approving the Manitoba Hydro – Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project subject to 28 conditions, and the approval of the Governor in Council. [Filing A95736]
- 30 May 2018: Board issues procedural update No. 5 schedule for Oral Traditional Evidence (OTE) sessions [Filing A92199]
16 May 2018: Board issues procedural update No. 4 – Oral Traditional Evidence (OTE) location and guidance [Filing A92005]
- 11 May 2018: Board issues Ruling No 8 [A91931]
- 27 April 2018: Board issues Ruling No 7 [A91536]
- 19 April 2018: Board issues clarification letter on Indigenous consultation [Filing A91387]
- 18 April 2018: Board denies the Southeast Stakeholders Coalition motion to adjourn the hearing [Filing A91361]
- 5 April 2018: Board issues Procedural Update No 2 [Filing A91058]
- 28 March 2018: Board requests comments on Southeast Stakeholders Coalition motion to adjourn the hearing [Filing A90901]
- 27 March 2018: Procedural update number one on Oral Traditional Evidence [Filing A90822]
- 5 March 2018: Extension to Hearing Timetable [Filing A90420]
- 22 February 2018: Comment period for revision of timelines [Filing A90132]
- 14 February 2018 – NEB releases list of hearing participants [Filing A90001]
- 14 February 2018 – View the draft conditions for comment by Manitoba Hydro, Intervenors, and Commenters [Filing A90002]
- 21 December 2017: NEB releases Hearing Order for Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project [Filing A88851]
- 5 January 2018: Board rules on Manitoba Hydro request for modifications to directive and Hearing Order [Filing A89012]
- 28 December 2017: Manitoba Hydro files request for modifications to directive and Hearing Order [Filing A88911]
- 15 December 2017: Cabinet accepts NEB recommendation to proceed to a public hearing
- 31 October 2017: Recommendation to the Minister regarding Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project [Filing A87404]
- 12 October 2017: Manitoba Hydro files Manitoba Clean Environment Commission recommendation report [Filing A86779]
- 6 October 2017: Board advises Environment and Climate Change Canada, and the Fisheries and Oceans Canada of potential effects on species at risk [Filing A86641] and [Filing A86638]
- 6 September 2017: Board releases List of registered participants to the Environmental Assessment [Filing A85861]
- 27 June 2017: Board directs Manitoba Hydro to publish a notice of registration for the NEB environmental assessment process [Filing A84661]
- 21 June 2017: Board grants relief requirements, Ruling No 2 [Filing A84531]
- 13 June 2017: Board sends letter to potentially impacted Indigenous groups [Filing A84351]
- 13 June 2017: Board grants extension to Manitoba Hydro for filling provincial hearing documents, Ruling No 1 [Filing A84360]
- 2 June 2017: Board directs Manitoba Hydro to expand Indigenous engagement [Filling A84165]
- 1 June 2017: Board sends Information Request No 2 requesting that Manitoba Hydro files all documents from the provincial hearings [Filling A84128]
- 19 April 2017: Board issues process decision [Filing A82687]
- 25 March 2017: Manitoba Hydro responds to Information Request No. 1 [Filing A82248]
- 15 March 2017: Board sends Information Request No. 1 to Manitoba Hydro [Filing A82079]
- 3 February 2017: Manitoba Hydro replied to concerns of Manitoba Metis Federation [Filing A81637]
- 19 January 2017: Manitoba Metis Federation files concerns with Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project [Filing A81374]
- 4 January 2017: Manitoba Hydro files provincial Environmental Impact Statement [Filing A81182] [Filing A81183] [Filing A81184] [Filing A81188]
- 17 December 2016: The public is given until 20 January 2017 to submit comments on the proposed process [Filing A81273]
- 16 December 2016: Manitoba Hydro filed a project application with the Board [Filing A81054]
- 8 October 2015: Manitoba Hydro files its project description with the Board [Filing A73129]
- 15 November 2018: National Energy Board approves the Manitoba Hydro – Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project
- 17 January 2018: NEB Hearing for Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project
- 21 July 2017: NEB launches environmental assessment process for Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Project
Support for participants
Participant funding is available. Refer to the Participant Funding Program page for information on deadlines, eligibility, how to apply for funding, and how to submit claims.
The Process Advisor’s role is to support the public (e.g., landowners, concerned citizens, environmental non-governmental organizations) and Aboriginal groups if they have questions about the NEB’s assessment of the project.
Media Relations Team
Canada Energy Regulator
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Canada Energy Regulator
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803
If you have questions about the project, including whether or not the power line could cross your property, please contact the applicant.
- Date modified: