Research, statistics, and assessments
Information below includes
- statistics on oil and gas production in areas we regulate
- resource assessments
- information for non-confidential wells located on federal lands we administer under the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
North and offshore production and exploration statistics
Production statistics: These statistics are based on oil and gas production data as received from operating companies on fields located in areas we regulate. Only two fields are producing: (1) Imperial’s operations in Norman Wells Proven Area of the central Mackenzie Valley and (2) the Ikhil field in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region about 50 kilometres north of Inuvik. The report lists monthly hydrocarbon and water production volumes by field.
The Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations, or OROGO, provides production statistics for fields located in the Northwest Territories outside of the onshore part of the Inuvialuit Settlement Region and the Norman Wells Proven Area.
- Report: Frontier Production Statistics (Revised 21 May 2019) [EXCEL 521 KB]
- Report: OROGO Production Statistics
Exploration statistics: This report is a summary of oil and gas exploration drilling, geophysical, and geological activities in areas we regulate. There will be no report for any week in which there are no oil and gas exploration work or activities.
OROGO provides oil and gas exploration statistics for activities in the Northwest Territories outside of the onshore part of the Inuvialuit Settlement Region and the Norman Wells Proven Area.
- No reports for 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- No updates expected for 2020 (no work is currently being done)
Table of formation tops
This table of formation tops contains information for non-confidential wells located on federal lands we administer under the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act.
The table includes:
- well names
- unique well identifiers
- current formation names
- measured depth
- true vertical depths with elevations
- geographic descriptions
This table is a collaborative effort between us and three of our partners: the Government of Nunavut, the Northwest Territories Geoscience Office, and the Natural Resources Canada's Geological Survey of Canada.
Open and accessible data: This table of formation tops is also available on the Government of Canada’s Open Government Portal
- Assessment of Discovered Conventional Petroleum Resources in the Northwest Territories and Beaufort Sea – Energy Briefing Note – November 2014
- Date modified: