ARCHIVED – Meeting Summary – 15 July 2011
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Arctic Offshore Drilling Review
Information Meeting Summary
|Friday 15 July 2011 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.||Recreation Centre
Sachs Harbour, NT
Purpose: Phase 2 Information Meeting
|Bharat Dixit||Technical Leader, Exploration and Production, NEB|
|Pamela Romanchuk||Environmental Specialist, NEB|
|Susan Gudgeon||Northern Coordinator, NEB|
National Energy Board staff gave a presentation providing an overview of:
- the Board's role in the North
- the scope of the Arctic Offshore Drilling Review
- what has occurred to date including stakeholder meetings and information filed
- where the Review is now at
- what is coming up
Questions and Comments:
The following questions and comments were posed:
- A letter should be send to each Community Corporation office advising of the deadlines.
- It is so expensive to fly from the communities, people wait and go out on medical. Should look into a charter to pick up people from the communities. People can't afford to pay up front to go to Inuvik for the Roundtable. It is $1500 per person.
- Make sure people have enough time to speak. At other meetings [Internatioanl Polar Year] scientists did all the talking and there was no time left for people to speak. Came home without having a chance to say anything.
- Is there compensation out there for the Inuvialuit people if there is a spill in our waters?
- As Inuvialuit we live from the ocean. What would we eat if there was a spill? We would get sick if we didn't have our own food.
- One time an elder pulled out a $10 bill out of his pocket and said "eat this". We can't eat money.
- NEB staff are available to assist in completing registration forms for the Roundtable as well as funding applications.
- Copies of DVDs containing the information on the NEB Arctic Offshore Drilling Review website are available.
- Date modified: