Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations
The Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR) are made under the Canadian Energy Regulator Act. Companies are responsible for meeting the requirements of the OPR to manage safety, security and environmental protection throughout the entire lifecycle of their facilities, from design, through to construction, operation and abandonment.
The CER is conducting a comprehensive review of the OPR under the CER Act to update the regulations. The CER’s objective for the OPR Review is to deliver a regulation that supports the highest level of safety, security and environmental protection, advances Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, addresses transparency and inclusive participation, provides for predictable and timely oversight and encourages innovation. A Discussion Paper has been posted to identify possible areas of change and to focus early engagement activity. A description of the review and overview of the Discussion Paper can be found here.
How to participate
Notification for Indigenous peoples (2021-12-14)
- Funding to support the review of the Onshore Pipeline Regulations
Update – March 1, 2022 – Deadline has passed; please contact the CER about availability of funding prior to applying.
NEW – Onshore Pipeline Regulations Review – Discussion Paper
The Discussion Paper has been posted to identify possible areas of change and to focus early engagement activity. The Discussion Paper outlines questions for your input, which will assist with future policy and regulation development. Input may be submitted to the email firstname.lastname@example.org, until 30 June, 2022.
- Notification for Indigenous peoples – Discussion Paper (2022-01-12)
- Notification for regulated companies and interested parties – Discussion Paper (2022-01-12)
NEW – Virtual sessions will be offered to provide you with an opportunity to have additional context for the Discussion Paper, and to be able to ask questions to help inform your input. Please register by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations (SOR/99-294)
- NEW 2022-10-12
Regulations Amending Certain Canadian Energy Regulator Regulations (Miscellaneous Program) (SOR/2022-199) and the Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement were published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on 12 October 2022, Vol. 156, No. 21, pages 4100-4109.
- The consolidated regulation will be available on the Justice Laws Website: Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations (Canadian Energy Regulator) (SOR/99‑294)
- National Energy Board Order AO-001-MO-006-2016 which Varies Order MO-006-2016 Compelling Publication of Emergency Procedures Manuals [Filing A79720] (2018-01-17)
- National Energy Board Order MO-006-2016 Compelling Publication of Emergency Procedures Manuals [Filing A79720]
- Filing Emergency Procedures Manuals (2015-03-26)
- National Energy Board Order MO-08-2000 [PDF 45 KB]
- Order for an exemption from section 17 of the Onshore Pipeline Regulations, non-destructive examination.
- Date modified: