Safety Culture Learning Portal
The documents you see below are educational materials and guides we’ve created for use by companies when working to understand and improve safety culture. Check back regularly for updates.
How to use the portal
- To improve understanding about what safety culture is
- To help others learn about the CER’s approach to safety culture
- As a handout during a safety moment
- To start a conversation with a team about safety
- As a guide to best practices when building, assessing, or working to improve safety culture
The CER is committed to improving safety culture awareness and understanding, both for safety and environmental protection.
What is safety culture? Culture influences what people see, hear, feel, and say. It influences the decisions and actions (behaviours) of people in an organization.
Why is it important? These behaviours ultimately drive safety outcomes and performance.
Human and Organizational Factors
The regulatory priority for safety culture
Safety culture defence: Committed safety leadership
Safety culture defence: Resiliency
Safety culture defence: Empowerment and accountability
Safety culture defence: Vigilance
Safety culture threat: Normalization of deviance
Safety culture threat: Production pressure
Safety culture threat: Tolerance of inadequate systems and resources
Safety culture threat: Complacency
Safety Culture Assessment Guidance
- Date modified: