On Wednesday, Aug. 28, the National Energy Board (NEB) became the Canada Energy Regulator (CER). For further information please visit our Implementing the Canadian Energy Regulator Act information page
Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited - Mackenzie Gas Project - Request for Extension to Sunset Clause
On this page you can find:
- Application Information
- NEB/ OROGO Application Assessment Process
- Email Updates
- Regulatory Documents
- News Releases
On 20 August 2015 the National Energy Board (NEB) received a request from Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited (IORVL), on behalf of the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline (MVP) proponents and the Mackenzie Gathering System (MGS) proponents to extend the sunset clauses for the approvals for the MVP and the MGS from 31 December 2015 to 31 December 2022 [Filing A72326]. The existing sunset clause for the MVP states:
- Unless the NEB otherwise directs, this Certificate shall expire on 31 December 2015 unless construction in respect of the Mackenzie Gas Project has commenced by that date.
The MGS has a similar existing sunset clause and expiry date of 31 December 2015.
IORVL made a similar extension request dated 29 October 2015 to the Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations (OROGO) for the portion of the MGS located outside of the Inuvialuit Settlement Region (ISR).
- 9 November 2015 - the NEB granted IORVL an extension to 30 September 2016 for the Sunset Clauses for the MVP and the portion of the MGS located within the ISR [Filing A73820].
- 10 November 2015 - the OROGO issued a direction to extend the Sunset Clause to 30 September 2016 to allow for more time to properly consider the request.
- 17 November 2015 - NEB and OROGO announced they are coordinating a review of IORVL’s application to extend the Sunset Clauses for the MVP and MGS. Written comments will be accepted until 16 February 2016. IORVL is directed to provide notice to interested parties, including those that previously participated in NEB and JRP review. [Filing A74023]
- 17 November 2015 - News Release - Regulators seek public comments on extension to Mackenzie Gas Project sunset clauses
In October 2004, IORVL and its partners submitted applications to the NEB for the project that came to be known as the Mackenzie Gas Project.
On 16 December 2010 the NEB issued the Reasons for Decision (RFD) for the approval of the MGP which included five approvals. The RFD is available in two volumes on the NEB’s website [Filing A27695].
NEB/ OROGO Application Assessment Process
On 1 April 2014, the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) assumed responsibility for the regulation of onshore oil and gas activities in the NWT outside of the ISR and the Norman Wells Proven Area and a few miscellaneous federal lands. The NEB regulates onshore oil and gas activities in the ISR under the Territorial mirror legislation, the Oil and Gas Operations Act (OGOA). Onshore oil and gas activities in the remaining areas of the NWT are regulated under OGOA by the OROGO.
With Devolution, a portion of the MGS located outside the ISR is now regulated by the OROGO under OGOA. The portion of the MGS within the ISR and the three anchor fields are regulated by the NEB under OGOA. The MVP continues to be regulated by the NEB under the NEB Act.
In keeping with the Memorandum of Understanding between the NEB and the GNWT, the NEB and the OROGO are coordinating the review of IORVL’s requested extensions.
This map provides an overview of the MGP and identifies both the NEB and the OROGO regulatory jurisdictions.
Filing Written Comment
The NEB and the OROGO CCO are each considering whether to approve IORVL’s applications to extend the sunset clauses, and will accept written comments with respect to the proposed extensions until 16 February 2016.
Both regulators will rely on the NEB’s public registry and e-filing system to gather written comments relevant to their respective statutory mandates, which will be considered in reaching a decision on the proposed extensions. Written comments can be made through the following:
- File a Letter of Comments using the NEB’s e-filing system
- NEB fax numbers, 403-292-5503 or toll free 1-877-288-8803
- Mail to 517 Tenth Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R 0A8
The NEB and OROGO may release periodic email updates to keep you informed of the latest developments in the proceeding.
You can sign up to receive email updates about the Mackenzie Gas Project - Request for Extension to Sunset Clause process here: MGPprocesshelp@cer-rec.gc.ca
A joint NEB - OROGO repository for letters of comment, Board decisions and other relevant documents filed with the NEB will be placed on the Board's online document repository [Joint NEB - OROGO Registry for Letters of Comment]. These documents are all accessible to the public. In addition, the Board’s Reasons for Decision for the MGP is also available in our online document repository [Filing A27695].
The OROGO decisions and other relevant documents filed with the OROGO will be placed on the OROGO Public Registry. These documents are all accessible to the public.
National Energy Board says Mackenzie Gas Project still in public interest
National Energy Board to release decision on extension for the Mackenzie Gas Project
Canada Energy Regulator
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803
For review process and media inquiries:
Pauline de Jong
Senior Advisor Legislation and Policy
Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations
- Date modified: