On Wednesday, Aug. 28, the National Energy Board (NEB) became the Canada Energy Regulator (CER). For further information please visit our Implementing the Canadian Energy Regulator Act information page
On November 5, 2014, Enbridge Pipelines Inc. submitted an application [Folder 2546069] for the Line 3 Replacement Program. The proposed project would include:
- replacing the existing Line 3 pipeline, 863.6 mm (outside diameter) crude oil pipeline with a new, 914.4 mm (Outside diameter) crude oil pipeline;
- installing 55 new remotely operated sectionalizing valves;
- installing 18 new pump stations and associated infrastructure and equipment;
- building 3 new storage tanks at the Hardisty Terminal;
- associated interconnection work at facilities; and
- decommissioning the existing Line 3 pipeline.
Once complete, the pipeline will have the ability to carry approximately 760,000 barrels per day.
The majority of the Line 3 replacement pipeline would be situated adjacent to Enbridge’s Mainline System corridor. The Project footprint for the Line 3 Replacement Pipeline will typically be 45 metres in width, including 12 metres of permanent easement, with an additional 33 metres of temporary workspace.
On November 29, 2016, Governor in Council directed the National Energy Board (NEB) to issue a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity [Filing A80884] for the Line 3 Replacement Project. This Certificate and the Orders authorizing the construction and operation of the Project are subject to 89 conditions that will be enforced by the NEB.
- National Energy Board – Recommendation Report [Document 2949922]
- Environment and Climate Change Canada – Review of Related Upstream Greenhouse Gas Emissions Estimates
- Natural Resources Canada – Online Questionnaire Report
- Major Projects Management Office – Crown Consultation and Accommodation Report
The targeted in-service date is early 2019. Decommissioning activities are proposed to begin once the Line 3 Replacement Pipeline is in service, and would take 12 to 18 months to complete.
Detailed route maps for the proposed Line 3 replacement pipeline are in Parts 1-18 of Appendix 2 (Environmental Alignment Sheet Package), found here: Filing A64179. Revised Re-Route Figures can be found here: Document A4L1G2, Document A4L1G3, Document A4L1G4 and Document A4L1G5.
Detailed route maps for the existing Line 3 pipeline which Enbridge proposes to decommission are in Parts 1-14 of Appendix 12 (Decommissioning Environmental Technical Report) found here: Filing A64181.
Note: Decommissioning Alignment Sheets Index Maps are found here: Document A4E7E0.
For questions about the NEB’s role as the regulator of the Line 3 Replacement Program, please contact:
Operations Project Manager
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
For media inquiries, please contact:
NEB Media Relations
- Date modified: