Canada’s Role in the Global LNG Market – Energy Market Assessment
About the NEB
The National Energy Board (NEB or Board) is an independent national energy regulator. Its role is to regulate, among other things, the construction, operation and abandonment of pipelines that cross provincial or international borders, international power lines and designated interprovincial power lines, imports of natural gas and exports of crude oil, natural gas liquids, natural gas, refined petroleum products, and electricity, and oil and gas exploration and production activities in certain areas. The NEB is also charged with providing timely, accurate and objective information and advice on energy matters.
The NEB’s strategic outcome states: The Regulation of pipelines, power lines, energy development and energy trade contributes to the safety of Canadians, the protection of the environment and efficient energy infrastructure and markets, while respecting the rights and interests of those affected by NEB decisions and recommendations.
The Board’s main responsibilities include regulating:
- the construction, operation, and abandonment of pipelines that cross international borders or provincial/territorial boundaries;
- associated pipeline tolls and tariffs;
- the construction and operation of international power lines and designated interprovincial power lines;
- imports of natural gas and exports of crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, refined petroleum products, and electricity; and
- oil and gas exploration and production activities in specified northern and offshore areas.
About this Report
The Board monitors energy markets and assesses Canadian energy requirements and trends to support its regulatory responsibilities. This report, Canada’s Role in the Global LNG Market, is part of a portfolio of publications on energy supply, demand, and infrastructure that the NEB publishes regularly as part of its ongoing market monitoring.
Contributors to this report include: Colette Craig (project manager), Kinsey Nickerson, and Jennifer Petrie.
Questions or comments? Please e-mail email@example.com.
- Date modified: