How to create a GCKey and CER account
This page provides step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a CER account and acquire a GCKey. The instructions include images of what you will see on your computer screen as you go through the process.
On the CER homepage under the “Applications and Hearings” menu, select "Submit Applications and Regulatory Documents”.
To log in to a CER account, you must click either
- "Apply to Participate", which takes you to a separate page that lists active applications, or
- "File Hearing Documents", which takes you to the CER login page.
There are two secure methods to log in: as a Sign-in Partner or by using the GCKey Log In. The following instructions focus on the GCKey log in method.
- Click “GCKey Log in”.
You will be temporarily redirected to the GCKey Sign In/Sign Up page on the Service Canada website.
- Click on your language of preference.
You may already have a GCKey from another government agency (e.g., booking a campsite with Parks Canada).
- 1. If so, enter your username and password and click "Sign In".
- 2. Click "Sign Up" and follow the rest of these instructions to create your GCKey and CER account.
- First, you must read the terms and, providing you agree, click “I accept”.
- If you decline, your other choice is to use the “Sign-In Partners method”.
- If you have questions or issues with the GCkey service, click the “Contact Us” link at the bottom right of the screen. As the GCKey is administered by Service Canada, your call will be answered by Service Canada and not the CER.
- To create your CER account, type in a username. If multiple representatives need to access your CER account, create a generic one.
- Ensure that you remember your username for future reference and click “Continue”.
- Complete the recovery questions. Your recovery questions, answers, and hints will be used if you forget your password. If this is a shared account for an organization, use generic information and non-personal answers that you can share with colleagues.
- Once you have entered your recovery questions, click “Continue”.
By clicking on “Continue”, you will leave the Service Canada website.
- Once back on the CER’s Participation System, select “I am a first time user”.
- Click “Continue” to create a CER account.
- Enter your contact information (red asterisks indicate mandatory fields). You may wish to create a new dedicated email address for a hearing process, as the volume of emails received may be substantial if you become an intervenor in a hearing process.
- Press "Save". The system will send you an email confirming that you now have a CER account.
- Date modified: