View north and offshore data and well history
Well operators are required to collect and submit material, information, and records on wells they drill on frontier lands in the north and offshore.
We gather and make available information and documentation (microfiche, mylar, paper, or digital format) on wells and seismic programs for areas in the north and offshore where we have regulatory responsibilities at the CER Librars Frontier Information Office.
This may include information or documentation on
- geophysical programs (seismic)
- weather observations
Actual well material (physical well cuttings and samples) is collected and then stored at various facilities across Canada that are able to take care of geological samples. Find out more about how to make a request to examine samples and where samples are stored.
Before you visit
- Book a private room to view or copy information.
- Keep in mind that the room is only available to one party at a time.
Hours of operation
- Days: Monday to Friday (closed on holidays)
- Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Review books, well reports, microfiche, and mylar
- Access well and geophysical data
- Print paper copies from microfilm (self-serve)
- Get information packages for oil and gas land rights issuance (calls for nominations or for bids) released by Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC) – Northern Petroleum Resources
Looking for information on other areas?
There are parts of the north and offshore where the CER does not have regulatory responsibilities. However, we sometimes get questions about these areas and so we’ve included some information below to help guide you in the right direction. Find out who to contact and how by clicking on the area you are interested in.
The CER regulates the Inuvialuit Settlement Region, Norman Wells Proven Area, and other miscellaneous federal areas in the Northwest Territories. For all other areas within the Northwest Territories, contact the Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations (OROGO).
Contact the Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations.
- Call 867-767-9097
- Email email@example.com or Kristen_Cameron@gov.nt.ca
Contact Yukon – Oil and Gas.
- Call 867-667-5026
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Zone extracôtière de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador
Contact the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board.
- Call 709-778-1400
- View a map of offshore area regulated by the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board
Offshore Nova Scotia
Contact the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board.
- Call 902-422-5588
- View a map of the offshore area
- Date modified: